Thursday, February 27, 2014

An Open Letter To My Fellow Bereans

This is long and windy, but bear with me - so is the future of Berea.  My name is Mae Suramek.  I despise politics (or at least its divisive nature).  I am turned off by the concept of power.  And probably like most of you, my plate of responsibility is already quite full.  Nevertheless, I will be seeking one of the eight seats on the Berea City Council this year.  Why, you ask?  Because I believe in civic responsibility at the most local level.  Because I believe that more of us should feel ownership of our own hometowns and that everyday citizens like you and I can, and should feel empowered to be involved in the decisions that impact us.  That’s why I think you should consider running for one of those eight seats as well.  So what happens when a non-political “type” seeks elected office?  For starters, I will not be knocking on your front door to ask for your vote.  But I will sit down with you at Moore’s Grocery or at Berea Coffee and Tea, to discuss how together, we can help shape a Berea we can all be proud of.  I will not raise money to pay for signs and bumper stickers, but I will spend the days leading up to election day in November, asking everyday Bereans like you, what your hopes are for Berea, and how you are willing to help make these things a reality.   Because it is our collective voice and action that will impact change, not just mine. What do I “stand” for?  I knew you’d ask.  Most people find it overly simplistic when I tell them that I stand for what our founder stood for when he first came to Berea.  I strive (and sometimes still struggle) to uphold this value every day in my personal life:
 
“I took my horse and rode for 500 miles, searching for a place where I could fulfill my mission.  I did not know where I should go; but one thing was certain – I must preach the true Gospel, this Gospel of love.”  

John G. Fee, 1859
 
So if you are looking for the kind of person who will pass a single, one-time fairness ordinance, don’t vote for me.  I won’t stop at the passing of an ordinance.  I will continue to regularly bring different kinds of Bereans to the same table to listen to each other, to grow to respect each other, and we won't stop until every single Berean is treated equally and with dignity.
 
If you are looking for someone to fix that pothole in your subdivision, don’t vote for me.  But if you are looking for someone to invest in our tourism, our small businesses, and our manufacturing industries to ensure that our city can build and sustain a long-term, healthy infrastructure for years to come, I’d be honored to have your vote. 
 
If you are afraid that I will try to turn this dry town wet, hear me out.   While I support limited sales of beer and wine at Berea restaurants, it is not personal.  It is because I believe that the majority of Bereans are responsible adults who know how to make good decisions.  I also believe that our local economy could flourish if tourists and locals were allowed to have a Kentucky Proud beer with their Papaleno’s Big Slice every once in a while.  You never know, the revenue generated from such a flourishing economy may even help with those potholes.
 
And if you are looking for someone who is loyal to a particular political party, don’t vote for me.  I learned a long time ago that we rarely accomplish anything of significance unless we are willing to see each other as human beings first.  If you want someone who is loyal to Berea, and is interested in building bridges, seeking common ground, and bringing everyone together to work for the betterment of our city, join me.

My son, who is a first-grader at the Community School tells me that Berea is the best place in the world.  As his mother, I want to give him that truth.   But the reality is that I’m still shielding him from the truths that I  know.  My good friend, the only African-American on her street, is afraid to go for a walk in her neighborhood because of the hurtful comments routinely hurled at her from people who drive by.  Last Valentine’s Day, I spent the night in the E.R. of the St. Joseph’s hospital holding the hand of a 15 year old girl who had been sexually assaulted.  I watched her mother, crippled with the realization that she couldn’t protect her own child.  These things are happening right here in our beloved town.  As difficult as it may be, I want us to talk about these things.  I want us to fix them.
 
So when you ask me what I stand for, I stand for Fee’s vision of impartial love.  I stand for a Berea that is richly diverse…and welcoming….and loving….and inclusive….and safe….and authentically true to its founding roots.  I stand for a Berea that has ample room on the ridge for all of us to live, to grow, and to serve our greater purposes.  If this is also the Berea that you stand for, this November I need your help in making  our voice count.  How?  So glad you asked.

Tell me what you think.
What do you want most for Berea (and how are you willing to help pitch in)?  Share your answer and see what other Bereans think at:  www.facebook.com/mae4berea

Have a cup of coffee with me.  
To schedule a one-on-one Moore’s Grocery or BC&T chat with me:  mae4berea@gmail.com.

Let me crash your party. 
If you are part of a civic organization, a neighborhood watch, a church group, a bunco night, a book club, or any other formal/informal community group and would like to exchange ideas about Berea's future, I'd humbly accept an invitation.  E-mail me at mae4berea@gmail.com.
 
Tell others about me.
My lawnmower budget* isn't going to get me very far.  So if you share my vision for Berea, won't you also consider sharing this on your Facebook page or with others who have the same hopes for Berea? 

* This ad was paid for by Mae herself, because she wants you to invest your money in our town, rather than in her campaign.  This 8-month campaign will run on proceeds from the sale of the family riding lawn mower last week, harnessing the power of free social media, and the collective voices of grassroots activism.  Thank you in advance for your support.  This non-political gal will need it.
 

10 comments:

  1. Mae, I saw this post on Jordan's FB page. She tells me you can't see my post. SO.... I will tell you here, that you ALREADY have my vote and my support... and that of my husband. This is the most thoughtful, articulate approach to city council that I seen in a long time! I wish you all the very best in your pursuit. The Berea we love would be so proud to have you on City council! > I've reposted it to my facebook page, too, so others can see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this awesome support! So touched!

      Delete
  2. How exciting, Mae! You've got my support :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so excited that someone that cares so much about Berea is going to potentially have a hand in working together with Bereans to help the community progress and thrive! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....Rachel, thank you. You can come back anytime now you know :-)

      Delete
  4. Mae, thank you for running. It was both refreshing and energizing to read your open letter. You can count on my support. Judith Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judith! Look forward to connecting with you again soon!

      Delete
  5. I don't live in Berea, but I love Berea, and I would vote for you! Thank you for your honesty and open-minded position. Thank you for staying true to mission and community and future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to share these kind words with me! I so wish you lived in Berea though :-)

      Delete

Mae Suramek

Mae Suramek